History

 

Brief History of the Church

The original church was erected at the cost of $1,400; on this site which was a grove on the Pullen Farm. It was shared by two denominations; the Wesleyan Methodist and the Methodist Episcopalian. The church became the center of spiritual, social, and political activities in the community. An excerpt from the late Hiram G. Morris' diary in 1864 tells of going to what was known as the "White Church" to hear a lady speak on slavery. This church was a stop on the Underground Railroad.

In 1887-1889 the two pastors using the church prayed together for God's blessing and a revival. They were not disappointed. The spirit of God was so felt in the community that the saloon on Sterling Street had to close its doors.

Shortly after the Wesleyan Methodist Church celebrated its Centennial in 1955, a new addition was built on the north end of the church, while preserving the original structure. Most of what was known about local “underground railroad connection” up to this point was compiled from longtime residents and historians.  As part of the new addition being built the church was moved back a few feet and an astonishing discovery was made. There was indeed just as it had been rumored, a cellar under the church, referred to as a cave and a trap door in the vestibule leading to this hiding place.

The Romulus Historical Society and the City of Romulus recognized the Romulus Wesleyan Church as a local historical site in May of 1979.

  August 2017  
SMTWTFS
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
     
Bible Search